Thursday, January 8, 2009

White Converse Story

A while back, around the time when the U.S. went into Iraq, I went to Journey's to buy some white Converse. I had already decided on a white pair because everybody was wearing black ones. I try to be different.

In my head, the shoes were white with black pinstripes, but when I saw them I was surprised. They were white with the top pinstripe being red and the bottom pinstripe being blue. Red, white and blue. I didn't want to wear an American flag on my foot.

I decided to try them on anyway.

The guy brings out my size and I try them on. I'm looking at them, a little uncertain. The guys asks me if I like them and I say, "I don't know. They look too America for me."
He gives me an odd look, "You don't like America?"
Holy crap. Here’s a white guy hearing me, who looks like from India, saying it was too America. He probably thinks I’m a terrorist. So I quickly respond, “No, I love America. I fucking love it! I’ll take the shoes.”

As I was paying for the shoes I started to hum “God Bless America” and the guy started to hum along with me.

I bought my white converse to prove I wasn’t a terrorist.

No comments:

Post a Comment